How did you guys get into VR?
– We’ve each been in the entertainment industry for the last ten years. We met in film school at Chapman University in Orange County, and have been friends even since. Matt has been in production and post-production for both commercial and studio clients, and Robert went the agency/representation route from William Morris Endeavor to Heroes and Villains Entertainment, a trans-media Management and Production Company. We re-connected when we were selling Matt’s documentary in the reality, digital and new media space. We started geeking out over VR and we realized we needed to get into this exciting new medium immediately. Thus, we opened Light Sail VR in December of 2015.
What is your company’s core expertise?
– Our mantra is ‘We are Creators. We are Innovators. We are Light Sail VR.’ Creating interesting content in new and innovative ways is at the core of who we are as a company. We feel what’s lacking in the VR / 360 Video space is compelling storylines and great characters. We have two sides to our business, branded commercial productions and original narrative series, and we approach both sides from a ‘story first’ perspective. We feel the best way to grow the medium of Immersive Cinema / 360 Video is to make content that asks the viewer to tune back in week to week.
How would you describe your company culture?
– Our brand is fun! We like entertaining ‘popcorn’ content. We want viewers to not only enjoy our content, but also talk about it and share it with others. We accomplish that by really taking the time and effort in the creative and development stage to pick the best resources and elements for a production. We then deliver that content in a professional well-tailored manner, across all platforms so it can reach the widest possible audience.
What is it like working with you guys? What can I, as a customer, expect in terms of communication and collaboration?
– We’re a soup-to- nuts production company, so we’re there for clients from creative development through production, post and distribution. We also offer consulting services. As we have experience in both traditional 2D productions and 360 video productions, we know the best practices for efficient shoots and delivery of branded content.
Can your company handle campaign volume production?
– Light Sail VR is a scalable commercial production company. We’ve run crews for the last ten years, and we utilize our network of production and post-production teams to handle any size or number of jobs that come our way. If you have a commercial need, let us know and we’ll get you on the schedule!
Can you show me something you’ve done that you are extra proud of?
– Our brand new live-action horror narrative Speak of the Devil VR just launched this year. It’s currently a headset only experience available on Oculus Rift, Oculus Go, Google Daydream, and Samsung Gear VR. It features over 50 unique locations to explore with 13 unique endings; twelve of which you don’t make it out alive…it is horror after all! This is our own original IP, and we really think this type of the content is the interactive cinema of the future. You can learn more about it on our website.
What area, geographically speaking, are you available to work in?
– Light Sail VR can work nationally in the United States, as well as internationally, and standard travel expenses are budgeted for in our bids.
Do you offer revisions of completed work?
– We most definitely want client revisions, and include for these revisions in our bids and project calendars.
Money is a big issue. What can you do for a small company with limited resources?
– As every production is unique in terms of elements needed to shoot it, and days needed in post, we can craft a bid for you that accomplishes the fun shots you desire creatively, but are still cost-effective for your budget.
STUDIO: Light Sail VR
Having a hard time picking a VR studio? We are here to help! Tell us about your project and we will put together a short list of elite studios that we think would be a good match. This service is free. Find out more HERE.